Lately, I've been doing a lot of research on fair trade companies, and other such things, and I'm really trying to be conscious about what and most importantly WHOM I am supporting with my business. So, I've become very interested in the issues of human traffiking and sweatshop labor. I recently ran across some very disturbing news, and while a whole 10 people may read my blog, it's the only thing I have to vent the disgust I have with the allegations recently revealed about the Toyota corporation.
I know here in America, most of our goods are outsourced and it's incredibly expensive to buy locally, and to buy green, but I want to make sure that I'm not naive to the fact that these things are happening around the world, and that we DO support them by purchasing their products. Take Walmart for example...for the longest time I refused to shop at Walmart because of their practices. Now that the economy has taken a turn for the worse, I've found myself buying into the idea that I need to save money, so I should get a few things there. Now I'm feeling guilty knowing that even one cent of mine has been given to this corporation, which emphatically denies any wrongdoing. I can't sit idly by while people are overworked, underpaid, and basically abused to make goods. It hurts my heart that this happens, and I want it to stop. Most importantly though, I want to be educated about my buying habits. I want other people to be as well. I wish I could do more, and I hope to one day.
Please, read the article HERE
Learn how to shop smart by visiting this website HERE
For a SweatFree shopping guide click HERE
Link to the National Labor Committee HERE
7.16.2008
i don't love what you do for me, toyota
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


This is sort of a side note, but a 30 year old man recently died of "overwork" in Japan--he was Toyota's (I think, Toyota) top engineer and was under severe stress. Suicide has been a huge cause of death for 30somethings in Japan due to the amount of hours they put in. If it's killing adults, imagine how the children feel! It's so sad.
ReplyDelete