There's a chill in the air, meaning the dead of winter in Tennessee has finally arrived. Although it may be short lived, it's never short enough. Waking to temperatures in the single digits feels like torture in this state. Somehow one grows accustomed to the highs and lows of different parts of the country quite quickly. Where 25 degrees may feel warm during a Nebraska winter (some people wear no coats!), the same temp is utterly unbearable in Nashville. I've come to realize that I just can't handle that kind of cold. Give me 100 degrees any day over being so chilled to the bone I have to shower to warm up!
The one thing I'm thankful for about the cold is being able to have a fire. Our fireplace finally has a job, and fulfillment in life, thanks to Pine Mountain logs. If you have never experienced the beauty of these, it's a log wrapped in paper that you place into the fireplace, light, and let go. It's lasts about 4 hours, and has been the highlight of my evening. I just love cuddling up by the fire with a book and some cocoa. I can't get enough. In fact, I'd like to move my bedroom to the living room so I could enjoy the fire more often.
i think i'll go make some cocoa now...
1.14.2009
the woes of January
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


I can barely handle your whining about the TN weather! ;) Just kidding. I absolutely LOVE You new header!!
ReplyDeleteBeck-
ReplyDeleteThat is ALL I do most nights during the winter (no kidding, we've already burned OVER 300 lbs of wood since November!) We have a fire for about 3 hours, read or watch a movie, and drink hot cocoa-the only redeeming thing about ice and snow (other than pretty pictures :)
Sarah
You're right, I love this new banner on your blog!
ReplyDeleteOh, and I added your blog to one of my blogrolls. Hope that's cool.