I can't even being to describe how amazing it has been to experience the Olympics in Beijing. Wow! I so wish I had been journaling, so I'm going to attempt to get all of my thoughts on each day down in this post, so I have something to look back on while I am scrapbooking this three week journey.
Day 1- Monday August 4th
We left Honolulu for Tokyo on Sunday, August 3rd, at 8:30 in the morning. After a 9 hour plane ride, we landed safely in Tokyo, at 4 PM Monday afternoon. CRAZY TIME CHANGE! The Tokyo airport is probably one of the nicest, cleanest airports I've ever seen! We had fun being in Japan for 3 hours, we even took a picture to prove we were there. Saw some USA athletes on our plane to China. We landed in Beijing at 8 PM Monday evening, where Andrew, Nicole, and Asher picked us up. Our luggage came out quickly, we went through customs pretty quickly, and then took the train back to their apartment (which stops just a block away!) It was a very smooth travel day, with no delays, thankfully!
Day 2-Tuesday August 5th
We got up pretty early (our bodies were so messed up from the 13 hour time change) but Nicole took us to the Llama Temple, a huge Buddhist temple. It was cool, but sad seeing everyone bowing to the idols everywhere. We also ate at a little cafe called "Vineyard Cafe" which serves western food. I had a Ceasar Salad and fries, Chris had pizza. We also stopped at a cool jewelry shop and walked around the city a bit.
Day 3- Wednesday August 6th
Chris and I tried to get into the Temple of Heaven but it was closed due to the Olympic torch coming through, which we never saw, but we talked with lots of local people and had fun bargaining at the Pearl Market. We were out in the city for several hours....we made it back for Tacos at Andrew and Nicole's with their friends "family" Gabe and Helen. We also took some seriously cute pictures of Asher in a chinese headband holding the Olympic flag...SO CUTE!
Day 4- Thursday August 7
Chris and I visited the Summer Palace, and had LOTS of fun shopping for cool Chinese stuff! Andrew and Chris again tried (to no avail) to find the Olympic Torch, amidst a sea of Chinese. I was SO tired, I took a nap, but we all went out for Korean BBQ, which was really fun because you cook the meat and veggies on a pan at the table. Andrew and Chris went out to a concert with Gabe that night, and Nicole and I went home to watch a movie, and chill.
Day 5- Friday August 8th (OPENING CEREMONIES)
Sleeping in is fun. I can't remember what we did this day....and it's getting super late, so I'm going to add to this in the morning :)
8.13.2008
Beijing is AMAZING
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Hey Beck--glad tos ee you made it safely home! Sounds like you had a wonderful time!
ReplyDeleteThis has been all over the news recently--were you aware of it when you saw the Olympics?
Read the whole article!! They managed to fake a lot of the opening ceremonies, however, it was spectacular.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/olympics/la-fg-lipsync13-2008aug13,0,5944370.story
Beck! I'm so happy to hear you're having a fabulous time. It was a little surreal to talk to you on ichat in A & N's living room! Crazy. And I'm a little jealous that you've met my nephew before me. I can't wait to see you again and see your pics and hear more stories! Keep em coming!! Miss you!
ReplyDeleteHey Beck!!!
ReplyDeleteGlad you guys made it back safely. It sounds like you two had the trip of a lifetime. I want to see some pics! Give me a call sometime soon if you get a chance. I would love to chat. When are you coming back to Omaha?? Take care and I love you two:)