8.21.2008

ohh, the jet lag

Well, we've been home 5 days now, and the jet lag is still kicking us. Going to bed around 8 PM each night, getting up at 4:30 or 5....it's just so strange. I've never experienced anything like this. It's one thing going to Europe and being 7 or 8 hours ahead, but 13 hours? It's like someone sucker punched you and there's no getting around it. I think we're adjusting about an hour each day or so.

Seeing the Olympics on television is making me want to be back in Beijing. I have to say that this was unequivocally the most amazing trip I have ever or will ever take in my life. As much as I loved Asia before, this just solidified the fact that I am in awe of China, Beijing, the people, the culture, the language, EVERYTHING. It truly is a beautiful country (and I'm not just talking about the cleaning up they did for the Olympics.) It is an incredible city. The people are extraordinary. They love foreigners. It was a great opportunity to practice the little bit of mandarin I've picked up from Pimsleur mp3's. I'm now convinced that this is one language I hope to learn more of. There's a school here that offers adult classes, so I think C and I are going to enroll in them together.

The first few days back were surreal. I didn't want to be home, as much as I like home, I wanted to stay in Beijing a little longer, learn a little more, see a little more. It wasn't a normal vacation...it felt different, like we were part of something (even just seeing a few events) it felt like we were part of something bigger. Knowing how monumental this was for China and experiencing their joy as the Opening Ceremonies got underway....they were so proud, and we were proud for them. I didn't want it to end.
But alas, here I am, back home, back to life as it was, and I can't help but feel like part of me has changed. I don't know what it is, exactly, but I am going to continue exploring it.

For now, I need to finish writing my brief synopsis of each day, so I don't forget it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment