7.13.2009

Food, Inc.




On Saturday afternoon, Chris and I went to see Food, Inc., a documentary just released about large food corporations (specifically meat processing and packing). As someone who has been generally interested in, and skeptical of, meat processing here in America, I didn't need much convincing that there is something incredibly messed up about the entire system. I buy local fruit and vegetables whenever possible, as well as free range eggs, organic chicken, and grain-fed beef whenever possible. I had to turn away at quite a few of the scenes depicted in the movie. Mainly, I just felt outrage about lack of consumer knowledge, and even more-so about the way that these large corporations view the general public and their right to know.

There we so many take-home messages. I know lots of people (I mean I personally know) lots of people who buy things solely on the basis of price. I'm not saying this is in every case wrong, but there are still so many ways to make better choices. I was once told that "you don't have to support the ideas of a company just because you purchase things from them." I must say that I wholeheartedly disagree with that. When you purchase a product, or from a store, you are voting for them. You are saying what they do is okay by you. I feel strongly that it is important to support local agriculture, as well as businesses that have ethical practices. You don't have to pay a fortune for quality food, you just have to be particularly aware of the things you are buying and look for sales.

-buy things at farmer's markets and from road-side stands
-buy things in season
-join a local CSA (go to localharvest.org)
-when you can't buy organic, buy things you can take the skin off of (bananas, melons, etc.) vs. what you eat with the skin on (apples, berries)

I highly recommend seeing this documentary, if for nothing else to at least become more educated about the foods we partake of and put our trust in.

2 comments:

  1. Good post, Beck. I probably can't stomach that documentary since I don't eat red meat. I agree that there is probably a lot that consumers do not know about processing, etc. We buy organic when we can but especially on berries, etc like you said. Speaking of supporting companies by purchasing through them, there is a crazy disturbing Walmart documentary that Mark and I watched. We will never shop there after that. I'll find the name of from Mark and let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have wanted to see this since I first heard about it months ago...however, we are Netflix people, so we have to wait til' it comes out on DVD to see it...
    We are HUGE supporters of CSA and although we didn't get on this year (long story, lol) we will have one next year and every other...we also have our own garden of potatoes, tomatoes, lettuce, strawbs, etc.
    Glad you liked the movie.
    Sarah M
    PS-present was sent over the weekend, hopefully you'll get it this week!

    ReplyDelete