A conversation with a cousin of Chris' (who has two daughters, 5 and 7) prompted this post. Chloe, the 7 year old is in kindergarten and is already being teased about clothes, hair, etc. I'm sure teasing has been happening for pretty much forever, but now that I have a daughter I am super sensitive to the thought that in just a few short years, girls could be bullying her. So how does one keep their child from being bullied (or becoming a bully?) I'm sure most involved parents would shudder to think their sweet innocent kindergardener could be the one tormenting his or her friends. I think a lot of it is in the attitude of the parents. Just the thought of sweet Chloe getting made fun of took me back to elementary school and the countless times I cried over not getting invited to a slumber party or birthday bash. A lesson learned in my Mom 2 Mom group this year is really resonating with me "remind your kids whose they are and whom they belong to." I think it is so important to instill self-confidence from a Godly perspective at a very young age. If I can teach Johanna to love herself because she is loved, perhaps I can at least protect her from the bullies that may await. It's also important as a mother, to speak kindly of others, building up instead of knocking down friends or family members. I know you can't protect your children from everything-but mean girls get their start so young (think toddlers and tiaras.) However, it's encouraging to know that you can start to build good character traits and self-esteem at any time! I hope I can be that kind of Mom.
4.29.2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment