9.21.2008

bah, humbug

So, after a lengthy time off from writing on my blog, I've finally been motivated to write again. Sometimes I just don't feel that I have anything all that important to blog about....

Some of you know, some may not, that I have been struggling with fatigue for the past 8 months or so. Our lengthy trip prohibited me from seeing a doctor again until now. Back in February, my physician indicated that I may have Hypothyroidim...a condition in which the thyroid does not get enough hormone from the pituitary glannd. It can cause a host of symptoms, not limited to FATIGUE (which is my main problem), weight gain, dry skin, etc. The only major symptom i've had so far is fatigue but I knew I needed to go back in for more testing. So other than feeling like a not so 20-something crazy person, I have just been down about not having normal energy. The blood tests came back and I guess they didn't show enough of a deficit to begin any thyroid treatment. Wow.
I really can't understand how the tests wouldn't show anything. I was positive they would. Most of the time, I feel like a zombie, I'm so tired...but nothing? What is the cause of this? My doctor recommended I see a sleep specialist. How am I going to be able to sleep in a lab (crappy hotel type room with monitors hooked up to me) and have them get any useful information? The other VERY odd thing to me is that I think you would know if you didn't sleep well (getting up every few hours, etc.) but I don't know of anything that disturbs me other than the fact that I am tired when I wake up- I don't mean tired as in, ohh I could sleep a little longer- I mean tired as in I feel like I ran a marathon yesterday. It's just SO frustrating. I truly feel like an 80 year old woman in the body of a 27 year old. I sleep 8 hours a night, eat relatively healthy (gluten free), take a daily prenatal and calcium vitamin, and walk regularly. And I'm tired of people telling me things such as: you sleep too much, you need a routine, you don't have a good schedule, etc. etc. Those things don't help. I'm not saying you have to understand where i'm coming from, but AT LEAST be understanding. It's not as if I want to feel this way. I just don't know what else to do.

So in the meantime, i'm going to try my best to deal with this fatigue and work through it....I don't think it's gonna be easy, but I know there are people out there that can relate. I just need to find them....

2 comments:

  1. Gosh honey I wish I could offer some advice. I know you've been struggling with this for a LONG time. I swear you have no break- I remember how long celiac kicked your butt before you were finally diagnosed. Any chance you can check out a 2nd or 3rd opinion?? Like you said...something MUST be going on for a 27 year old healthy gal to feel like an 80 year old woman. :( If it's any consolation I feel like that now too. But it's b/c I have a 4 week old. :( Well, good luck. I'll be praying for a diagnosis for you... Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey beck--have you been "cheating" at the diet at all? or missed something (like, not sharing toasters, not careful abotu salad dressing when you go out to eat?)...I know I dont have nearly the extreme case of CD you do, but in reading that GF Girl book, she would be down for a number of days (like you said) if just her and her husband's spoons would mix. I wish you could see my doctor here in NE...she is AMAZING... remember how most doctors NEVER thought our stuff was celiac? I told her 3 symptoms and she IMMEDIATELY said< "We;re checking for this" instead of thinking it was a long shot, and she was right--when you're back in November, you could maybe make an appointment? I rec. her to all my friends!

    ReplyDelete